Dev Blog #1: Ninja

All player discussions, whether about the server or off-topic.
Caelic
Site Admin

Dev Blog #1: Ninja

Post by Caelic » Fri May 03, 2019 6:18 pm

There was a ton of stuff I wanted to write into the patch notes and it ended up being too much so I'd rather make a separate post on it. The original intent of the Ninja nerfs at the beginning of the server was to steer people away from the already very popular choice of subjob of /NIN on any melee which would only get worse once everyone had access to Ni on any job that was 37+ due to the nature of the server. These past few weeks I've been looking at the job and testing ways to change it in a way that it would keep its identity as a blink tank that kept hate through doing decent damage while keeping around a deterrent for spamming /NIN on any job just for the shadows. In conclusion, it was a pretty epic failure. When I tried nerfing Utsusemi it felt OK when I was testing it on a job where the other job (not NIN) was the main focus of the build but no matter what was always frustrating when NIN was the main focus of the build and I was unable to do what the job was built to do. Its HP is now much closer to what it is originally (still no HP Boost traits) and all of the other buffs in this upcoming patch are all focused on reinforcing the other aspects of Ninja that require time and effort put into them (ele wheel tools, shurikens, actually using katanas instead of your other job's weapons) so that playing as an actual Ninja instead of just for shadows can be more rewarding at the very least.

This probably means that taking /NIN solely for the shadows is going to be even more busted than it was in vanilla FFXI (due to everyone getting Ni at 37+) but after fruitlessly trying everything I can to fix that without destroying the job's identity, I think I'm fine with that. The original intent from the start of this whole crusade against the Ninja job was to encourage use of other jobs in our unique job system because the fun is in experimentation and I think this can still be achieved by looking at other jobs and deciding where survivability can fit in so that there are at least alternate options for other builds to be viable. That was the whole point of MNK having an enhanced Chakra from day one and I think the SAM parry rate from this next patch will be another step in that direction.

Vanisher

Re: Dev Blog #1: Ninja

Post by Vanisher » Wed May 08, 2019 2:26 pm

I'm happy with the the recent changes to the Ninja. Escpecially with the Ninja tool expertise.

I think the idea of uncapped subjobs and the ability to use gear for the subjob is such a fresh idea, that /nin might not be as desireable now as it has been. Who knows. When we have enough people on the server, we will see how it turns out on a wider scale, it might get easier to determine what job combo is balanced and which is not. Maybe everyone use the same combo in the end, or maybe it's balanced. We'll see. I can't wait to experiement with jobs, I have to rethink everything from the retail server. Some job combos didn't turn out the way SE intended either, and fixed it after a while of research.

I would prefer, if it's possible, that you didn't have to use !flip or !dw. It might be a technical issue, I really don't know, I'm just a gamer. :), It's not a big problem either.

Cheers!

Caelic
Site Admin

Post by Caelic » Wed May 15, 2019 3:34 am

!flip and !dw are technical workarounds, yes. The client will physically bar you from equipping items that you otherwise cannot equip the way the job system normally is. Nobody has the source code to the FFXI client other than Square so it is the best we can do.

If it helps, you can make macros for "/say !flip" or "/say !dw". You can also use equipsets to completely circumvent the client restriction.

Luciad57

Post by Luciad57 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:34 am

Vanisher wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 2:26 pm
I'm happy with the the recent changes to the Ninja. Escpecially with the Ninja tool expertise.

I think the idea of uncapped subjobs and the ability to use gear for the subjob is such a fresh idea, that /nin might not be as desireable now as it has been. Who knows. When we have enough people on the server, we will see how it turns out on a wider scale, it might get easier to determine what job combo is balanced and which is not. Maybe everyone use the same combo in the end, or maybe it's balanced meilleure mutuelle senior. We'll see. I can't wait to experiement with jobs, I have to rethink everything from the retail server. Some job combos didn't turn out the way SE intended either, and fixed it after a while of research.

I would prefer, if it's possible, that you didn't have to use !flip or !dw. It might be a technical issue, I really don't know, I'm just a gamer. :), It's not a big problem either.

Cheers!
You're absolutely right. And we can also debate several topics at once.

AmandaFut

Dev Blog #1 Ninja

Post by AmandaFut » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:52 am

Ive had the flu for the past two weeks. Ive had hallucinatory dreams about John Fine and the Robman coming to get me, for having unnecessary bytes in my upgrade. I finally pulled myself up off my deathbed long enough to check it out and find that there were indeed 4 unnecessary bytes in the earlier code. Now hopefully I can RIP.
Attachments
282.gif
282.gif (3.63 KiB) Viewed 22 times